Thursday, November 18, 2010

Back in business?

Hello all

Sorry for the long "leave of absence" there. Life was unfortunately becoming a little overwhelming for a while, and I wasn't able to keep up with all of my responsibilities (including this app). Like we learn in Tanya, G-d desires the "struggle" of us actively working against our yetzer hara. Apparently G-d also desires the struggle of me making this Tanya app. (As I can imagine Rabbi Taub saying, "How do you know G-d wants you to struggle? Because you're struggling!")

There are several issues with the app currently: there is a bug in the luach that makes it misapply the leap year cycle, the app hasn't been updated to iOS 4.x standards, and I haven't been able to keep up with my membership payments to maintain access to the app.

In addition to my time/money problems, those issues were complicated by the fact that I lost the source code when my computer crashed. Without the source code, I would have to rewrite the whole app from scratch. I know, you're telling yourself "didn't he have a backup?" I did... at least, I thought I did. It took me a real long time to find it, though. For a while I thought I was going crazy. But, B"H, I did just recently find my backup

Now that I have the source code again, I'm going to try to make some time to push out a new version with all the updates. I'd love to get it out before Yud-Tes Kislev, but I don't think that's going to happen. Depending on how my current rotation (OB/Gyn) goes, I'll try to finish it in the next couple weeks. If not, I should be able to do it over winter break.

Thanks to everyone for your patience. Sorry it's taken me this long to get my act together.

24 comments:

  1. Great!! I miss this appli so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for such a great app. I can do Chitas so much more easily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! This app has been a tremendous help to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a great app, why don't you charge 99 cents, it is certinaly worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is a great app, why don't you charge 99 cents, it is certinaly worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But please don't leave those of us still suck in 3.x land in the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news, at the right time of year. This is one of the best designed Jewish apps. Hope to see more of the same in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great news! I'm hoping to join the land of the touch screen and would love to start learning Tanya again. (This will inspire me to do it on the train).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey if you put a donation link on the blog I will be happy to make a small contribution ($18). I use this app every day and I think you should be compensated for your time.

    In the meantime as we near the end of the tanya the leap year and regular year have converged and the coming year is a leapyear so it seams that problem has solved itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does it also help with the money if I click on the ads on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe? I think over the history of the app I've earned around $5 total for all of the visits to the blog. Maybe in another couple years it will accumulate to something that Google will actually send me a check for...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd be happy tp pay for the 4.0 version on iTunes. It's a great app and a real mitzvah. We're pulling for u.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really appreciate your time and effort for this app . I find it very helpful and i used it all the time .. When do u think ... maybe ..efsher... Hatzlacha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi , thanks for this app.
    I have it ,but now I try to downlod it
    and I get error -that is no longer avelebul

    ReplyDelete
  15. Make an hd iPad version!!!!! It would be great

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tried to download the iPad version but it says no longer available. I have heard great things about this app. Will it be back?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck. I tried to download the app - but its no longer available. Hopt to see it soon. This is my first choice from the app store. And my first exploration into this since I was Bar Mitzvah 35 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's now availible to dowload. I just downloaded it last week. So excited to learn Tanya again on my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I see it's gone again. Is that temporary?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had it & loved it but since updating my phone I can't find it in iTunes anymore. Please bring it back, I'd gladly pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please make the app available once more. I'd be happy to help out with the development too if that would help. Or help out financially please let me know. Me@yitz.com

    Thanks so much for all your hard work.
    (I just reset my phone and noticed the app is missing from the app store. I'm pretty sure I have a copy in iTunes I could resynch onto my phone tho. )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Likewise, willing to Pay for the app... Please update and put a pay/donate button...
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this app. It helps so much. Please put it back on!!
    Moshiach NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for bringing it back

    ReplyDelete