Friday, January 17, 2014

New Update! v2.0

Great news to all Tanya.app fans! There's a new version of the app that I just approved. Should be appearing in iTunes momentarily.

The original app was written for the original iPhone. Back then, things were a lot different -- the phone could barely print Hebrew (and would always print it backwards). The updates Apple has made to iOS have been great, but I hadn't had time to keep up... until now.

This v2.0 release is a complete re-write, using the newest iPhone tricks. It basically just replicates the original app, but I have plans to add all sorts of bells and whistles soon. The biggest difference you'll notice at first is a remake of the interface. I tried to make it minimalistic to match the iOS7 motif. There's still some issues with the app, but I wanted to get an update out as soon as I could. More soon!

The other major change is the "price." It's still free, but I added an ad-banner to the bottom of the screen. I'm hoping the ads will be reasonable and appropriate, and that will help give me a steady stream of income to offset the costs of keeping the app up. To give people the option of getting rid of all ads, you can also buy an "ad-free" option within the app that will remove all ads permanently.



And, for the curious... why can I suddenly put all this effort into this app that has been left neglected for so long? I spent my last year in a neurosurgery residency, which gave me many great experiences, and G-d willing I was able to help a lot of people. But, although it is an amazing career, I decided it wasn't going to give me the focus in life that I'm looking for. Working on Shabbos, even to save a life, was very hard for me, as well as the time away from my family.

So, I quit and moved back home. I'm currently in-between things, but I'm planning on (IY"H) continuing in anesthesiology. In the meantime, I'm trying to catch up on lost projects... including this app.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, simple, and good UI skills.
    Two issues: (1) IPAD AIR (IOS7) crashes when trying to view content (today, or by chapter). I don't need a special HD display, but it would be nice to fix this. (2) Maybe you always get to read TODAY on the right day. But somtimes I need to go a day ahead or behind. It would be nice if there was a left and right swipe from the current day to move a day forward or back (you can also indicate which day I am on with a pop-up that fades out).

    If you are interested, I have been doing a lot with HTML5, Single Page Apps, IDB, Node.JS, Responsive Apps, offline, etc. I think the tanya is a candidate for a single web app that scales to device size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. email me please your reply to gitt613 at gmail . com
    i want to know if this has a commentary as welll or just translation

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried your app on a friends and really like it, but one HUGE issue, it doesn't work on ipad's ios7, are you aware of that, can you tell me when this will be fixed?

    ReplyDelete